Pensacolakid's family trip

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:16 am

Good morning Forumites. Thought I would offer a few thoughts on our latest trip over to Navarre for our annual summer trip with friends and family. Once again, I apologize for not reaching out to my my buddies while over there. This was a strange trip in many ways and the timing simply was not there. Kenny, I am coming back in July/early August and will reach out to you then for sure.

So, we arrive in P'town on Friday a week ago and spent the night in the Downtown Courtyard overlooking Pensacola Bay. Great hotel and a 2 minutes walk to McGuire's, one of our very favorites. Next morning we get up, have breakfast at the Broken Egg (another great place next to the Courtyard) and then head over to the Farmer's Market on Palafox Street in downtown Pensacola. For those of you who have not spent a lot of time in downtown P'town, you must as it is one of the very best downtowns in America. A lot to see and do.

Spent about an hour there and then made our way down to Joe Patti's to get our seafood for the week. Love the place. Oh, by the way, tremendous storms blew through on Friday and Saturday, so much so that both Saturday and Sunday the flags were double red. NO WATER ENTRY. The water looked horrible.

On Tuesday we went over to Pensacola Naval Air Station to watch the Blues fly. Always love doing that and the day was spectacular with unlimited ceilings. Full show. It was quite warm though and you can no longer go through the front gate. You must enter through the West gate and it is a bit of a pain to get there. They cancelled Wednesday's show due to the fact that they are de-commissioning, Fat Albert the C-130 that hauls all of their gear to the shows. They are now have to truck haul everything to every show. What a pain.

The water finally started turning clearer on Tuesday and really the remainder of the week it was relatively decent. If you look at it now on the webcam it is really nice. We missed the really nice water but it was so much better than Galveston for sure.

On Thursday we did our annual Crab Island trip to destin. Always enjoy that so much. I did find out one piece of information for those interested in doing this and I HIGHLY recommend you do it......set a date about 2-3 weeks but before you actually reserve it, look at the tide tables in Destin for that day. When you hit a low tide timeframe, the water is leaving the bay and emptying into the gulf which turns the water at Crab Island very jade green with grasses flowing etc. It is still clear water but not the incredible blue and green that you get with a high tide. We always book the 1:30-5:30 slot. Right as we went under the bridge to make our way over to Crab, we saw a really back wreck at the crest of the Destin Bridge that bottlenecked the traffice horribly. When we returned at roughly 5:45, they still had not cleared the wreckage and the traffic was completely stopped all the way back to the light in Fort Walton. Also, the traffic heading back toward Fort Walton/Navarre was horrible as well. It took us about 45 minutes to go 14 miles.

Really those are the highlights of a super yet strange week. Oh, again and huge THANK YOU to Mermaid Mansions and the Karam family for taking care of everything related to our rental. We stayed in a condo this time called Osbon Dunes. It is two properties to the west of the Sundunes 14 story high rise (the furtherest highrise to the west. The Den and kitchen were spectacular as was the Master suite. Can't say as much for the other two bedrooms and the upstairs bathroom. They did the trick but desperately need some updating.

Any way, looking forward to next years friends and family trip.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 am

Glad you had good family trip. Our daughter and family arrive on the 28th for a week-long visit.
Have to ask more about Crab Island - you rent a boat?

Yea, FWB traffic is getting bad. We had a trip over to Panama City Beach on Saturday, 18 May (reunion of USAF folks who had been on Guam in the 1980's). Going east in FWB there are six lanes of traffic that have to get down to two lanes over the bridge. (two lanes from 98, two from Eglin Pkwy, one from Beal Pkwy, and one from Perry Ave - plus - some other side streets.) Took us around 45-min to go the one-mile thru downtown FWB and over Brooks Bridge!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:32 pm

Yes Pete.....24 ft, 12 passenger for $293 for 4 hrs. The you can go anywhere but the Gulf. Luthers Pontoon Rentals.

Incredible time.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:08 am

Sounds like a good family trip, Pkid.

Did you stay in Navarre at all, or were you mostly in Pensacola? I've heard the traffic in that area is getting even worse. We've not been there since we sold our condo April 2018. I have to say, staying there through the winter and early spring was wonderful. I really loved it and would do that again in a heartbeat! Visiting during the busy summer season - nah, no thank you.

I've had relatives in Pensacola and the area for decades - I've heard it referred to as P'cola, but never P'town. The only town I know with that nickname is at the tip of Cape Cod in Massachusetts - Provincetown.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”