Great White Shark caught off Navarre Pier

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:11 am

For the very first time that I can remember in the 50 years I have been going to Navarre, a Great White Shark was caught yesterday off the pier. I know there have been some tremendously huge Bull Sharks and I have even seen a 14 foot Greater Hammerhead caught but a cold water Great White......WOW! I know the water is in the very low 60's but this is ridiculous. Pretty cool though. It was tagged and released to bite another day. That was a good thing!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:23 am

Local shark catching "expert", Earni Polk, (who has been catching - and tagging/releasing - since a kid) says there was one about the same size (10-foot, 700#) in the late 60's taken off the pier. Last he can recall.

The angler who did this catch is from Huntsville, AL - but been fishing Navarre for many year in the winter. Says it took about an hour to bring in in on 200# line, steel leader.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:50 am

It is incredible. Thankfully when the water warms they depart. Would rather not have Great Whites roaming the Riviera.
EconProf
Power User
Power User

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:19 am

I wonder who was the lucky soul that tagged the shark and removed the hook or cut the leader. :shock:
Garrison

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:48 am

We have fished with Thomas (the young man who got the leader), nice guy. And before anyone (else, like on other social media) freaks out about how close the shark might've approached shore, these guys use a kayak and row their bait hundreds and hundreds of yards out into the Gulf to set it. Not my type of fishing but live and let live. I just hope the kids that are usually with them have learned to clean up after themselves, as they are the same ones who have left the pier trashed after being allowed to stay out there overnight to do their shark fishing. Sam and I have helped the staff clean up their mess a few times the past few years, kind of a pet peeve to me because I see how tourists are lambasted (rightfully so) for how they trash the beaches on spring break.
Going Nuts

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:27 am

"Mayor Vaughan! There's a huge shark at our beach, and it's almost spring break season!"

"Brody, you just keep your big trap shut! That's nothing but a big ol' friendly manatee!"
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:04 am

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”