Algae in the water

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
EconProf
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:22 am

The beach cam shows an abundance of algae in the water. Well, it is that time of year. The algae bloom is essential to several gulf creatures. Enjoy the white sand!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:25 am

From the images I viewed this morning, it appears that the junegrass/algae (or whatever it is) is diminishing fairly quickly now! Maybe those little critters that eat it were really hungry! :lol: Or, maybe it just didn't show up in "dawn's early light"! :?
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:37 am

AngelGirl wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:25 am
From the images I viewed this morning, it appears that the junegrass/algae (or whatever it is) is diminishing fairly quickly now! Maybe those little critters that eat it were really hungry! :lol: Or, maybe it just didn't show up in "dawn's early light"! :?
Again this morning and it looks to be cut back a lot. Not completely gone, but on the last day of June, the June grass is on the way down.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:16 pm

Today it's not looking much like it's clearing up! :(
07-01-18 NB First Day of July 2018.jpg
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
EconProf
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:29 pm

AngelGirl wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:16 pm
Today it's not looking much like it's clearing up! :(

07-01-18 NB First Day of July 2018.jpg
Nope!

Has anyone heard more about the small jellyfish (sea fleas?) that was invading Pensacola Beach?
Going Nuts

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:00 am

They were flying purple flags on Pensacola Beach several days ago because of sea lice. (I think they refer to anything that is invisible and causes itches in all the wrong places as sea lice....) :roll:
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:30 am

Going Nuts wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:00 am
They were flying purple flags on Pensacola Beach several days ago because of sea lice. (I think they refer to anything that is invisible and causes itches in all the wrong places as sea lice....) :roll:
I think you are right (about what they refer to them as).

The water off Navarre Beach is pretty full with people this morning and only a yellow flag, so...
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:30 am

So I am looking at a couple of live cams in Destin. Once again, no algae there. It is one of three things why Navarre is continually hit with this and it seemingly does not effect nearly the same way, the Destin area. Or, maybe there is another reason?

1. River runoff and where streams, rivers and tributaries empty into the two places.
2. The Destin Pass has something to do with it
3. The dredging that has been done in Navarre over the last 10-12 years.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:00 am

I am going to make a guess. (not having ANY training in marine science) The out flow from Pensacola and East (Destin) Pass pushes "stuff" in the water away from those areas - an Navarre is right in the middle - and gets the "stuff" in the water?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:33 pm

That's as good a guess as any Pete. Yep, I think the passes have a lot to do with it. I looked at two different Destin cams this morning. Not an ounce of the stuff.
Shepster

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:52 am

Gulf Current flow is typically west-east along the MS/AL/FL Gulf coast.

If you look at Google Satellite view of the gulf coast where the scope allows you to see from west of Mobile Bay all the way to Miramar Beach you'll notice 1 thing right off - a LOT of farmland on the west and east sides of Mobile Bay and also around the 3 rivers that flow into Pensacola Bay (the Escambia, Blackwater, and Yellow rivers all flow into Pensacola Bay) from as far north as southern Alabama, which has a lot of cotton and soybean farmland.

Compare that to the land that surrounds the various creek & rivers that flow into Choctawhatchee Bay north of Ft Walton/Destin. Almost all of the land west, north, and east of Choctawhatchee Bay is owned by the Federal Govt and is military controlled. Hardly any of it is farmland.

You get nutrient rich watershed flow into Mobile Bay/Pensacola Bay and much much less nutrient flow into Choctawhatchee Bay.

June Grass (the yucky algae) is common along Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Perdido Key/Pensacola Beach/Navarre Beach because of the outflow of nutrient rich water. By the time the current carries water from Mobile Bay/Pensacola Bay to Destin/SoWal the nutrients have been consumed by the June Grass so the water is much clearer and the nutrient flow into Choctawhatchee Bay is not enough (except in periods of heavy extended rainfall) to keep large June Grass blooms going.
EconProf
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:53 am

Shepster wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:52 am
Gulf Current flow is typically west-east along the MS/AL/FL Gulf coast.

If you look at Google Satellite view of the gulf coast where the scope allows you to see from west of Mobile Bay all the way to Miramar Beach you'll notice 1 thing right off - a LOT of farmland on the west and east sides of Mobile Bay and also around the 3 rivers that flow into Pensacola Bay (the Escambia, Blackwater, and Yellow rivers all flow into Pensacola Bay) from as far north as southern Alabama, which has a lot of cotton and soybean farmland.

Compare that to the land that surrounds the various creek & rivers that flow into Choctawhatchee Bay north of Ft Walton/Destin. Almost all of the land west, north, and east of Choctawhatchee Bay is owned by the Federal Govt and is military controlled. Hardly any of it is farmland.

You get nutrient rich watershed flow into Mobile Bay/Pensacola Bay and much much less nutrient flow into Choctawhatchee Bay.

June Grass (the yucky algae) is common along Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Perdido Key/Pensacola Beach/Navarre Beach because of the outflow of nutrient rich water. By the time the current carries water from Mobile Bay/Pensacola Bay to Destin/SoWal the nutrients have been consumed by the June Grass so the water is much clearer and the nutrient flow into Choctawhatchee Bay is not enough (except in periods of heavy extended rainfall) to keep large June Grass blooms going.
Great analysis! Come on Fall when there is less June Grass and more space on the beach.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:40 am

I'll bank on that explanation. Good, solid...thanks Shepster. That may explain why then during the fall and winter we don't see that much if any at all. Could that be because the farming is not as prevalent during those months or simply the cooler water is not conducive algae growth?
Shepster

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Actually, IIRC from college biology, warm water 77 to 85 degrees with decent oxygen concentration is good for algae as long as it has a steady food source.

For example, the closer you get to the equator the less oxygen the salt water has. That's why water in the Caribbean is blue and clear year round. The water is consistently warmer than what salt water algae optimally needs, has less oxygen concentration, and little to no food that algae needs to bloom (ie, no organic decomp material that you get with fresh water runoff from farmlands near the coast of the southern US).

Also, late spring/early summer in normal rainfall years promotes nutrient rich runoff from freshly tilled & planted farmland. It's a double-whammy of frequent rainfall and new farming activity close to rivers that feed into Mobile and Pensacola bays.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Have daughter and family visiting this past week. Three days at Opal Beach, last Sunday, Tuesday, Friday - and they had NO floating "June Grass". A little clump of seaweed on the bottom here and there and truly "Gin Clear" water. She said best she can recall in awhile for summer. I went with them yesterday for about 3 hours and it was wonderful. Were going again today, but read that purple flags flying for jellies - so demurred. With travel tomorrow, didn't want to chance itchy skin.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”