Why don't we have NO PETS signs up and down the gulf side?

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:47 pm

We have two dogs - half black lab/half golden retriever. I have no desire to walk them on the beach - I have enough hair in the place, I don't need to add sand/salt from their fur to the mix.
Tracy210T

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Ditto!
... just dreamin' of the beach, as usual...
EconProf
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Citizen's Arrest! Citizen's Arrest!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 am

EconProf wrote:Citizen's Arrest! Citizen's Arrest!
Unfortunately, nowadays, that could be dangerous.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
sevenoverpar

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:10 am

Dog on the beach yesterday in front of the Regency and Beach Colony at 2 PM. Beach patrol drove past with no comment.... sure it's not their job anyway.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:23 am

sevenoverpar wrote:Dog on the beach yesterday in front of the Regency and Beach Colony at 2 PM. Beach patrol drove past with no comment.... sure it's not their job anyway.
I saw an older couple with a small dog on a lap in front of Beach Colony too, but it was later. I didn't say anything - I am reluctant to expose myself to someone's wrath, when there is no sign on that walkway, and pretty much a guarantee of no enforcement. They were gone when we walked back 10 minutes later.

The beach patrol I see going frequently up and down I believe is for water safety. The kids in it are just that - kids. Even if it was their job to tell people about the rules, I'd hesitate - too many people argue, get belligerent, and try to take advantage in that situation. An authority figure is needed - someone in a uniform.

What I would like to know is the rules for service and emotional support animals on the beach. I've been told there is a lady who regularly walks the beach early, and when confronted, says her dog is an emotional support animal (for PTSD); however, it is not wearing anything - tag or harness - that shows that.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:40 am

People should remember that there is a leash law too. *sigh* Yesterday we were walking our dogs, and a lady with a German Shepherd was headed down (towards the Sound beach - we have seen this dog on the beach before too) a road near a parking lot we walk thru. Her dog was off leash and she was looking elsewhere. The GSD came running up to our dogs - not a goofy, tail-wagging run, but head lowered with an intent look. I yelled to her that her dog was coming at us (it had at least 20 lbs on my girls). One of ours growled, and even tho the GSD didn't threaten anymore, mine were very nervous and one got out of her collar/leash as the GSD was trying to sniff and check her out. I grabbed her ruff, but the lady only kept calling her dog (who wasn't listening) from a distance, and I was yelling at her to come get her dog. Finally the GSD went back to the owner.

Unless you have an EXTREMELY well-trained dog, they should never be off leash in a public spot. My dogs could have got away from us and run into traffic because they felt threatened.
EconProf
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Carry a pistol. I do. I will fire a warning at the dog but the next shot will stop the threat.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 pm

EconProf wrote:Carry a pistol. I do. I will fire a warning at the dog but the next shot will stop the threat.
As tempting as that may be, probably not the best idea in a populated area. For one thing, discharging a firearm within the city limits is usually against the law. Then you have that pesky problem of a probable lawsuit. Some folks we knew in Ft Worth (in the city limits) carried a can of hornet spray when they went out for a stroll or walked their dogs. It's effective and non-lethal.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:53 pm

AngelGirl wrote:
EconProf wrote:Carry a pistol. I do. I will fire a warning at the dog but the next shot will stop the threat.
As tempting as that may be, probably not the best idea in a populated area. For one thing, discharging a firearm within the city limits is usually against the law. Then you have that pesky problem of a probable lawsuit. Some folks we knew in Ft Worth (in the city limits) carried a can of hornet spray when they went out for a stroll or walked their dogs. It's effective and non-lethal.
I like the hornet spray idea, AG. Thanks! I have often wondered what to do if a loose dog attacks ours. I definitely don't want to see my dogs hurt by the offending dog or inadvertently by me, and I would not like to chance hitting a person with a bullet either.
Susan

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:44 am

gailjean wrote: What I would like to know is the rules for service and emotional support animals on the beach. I've been told there is a lady who regularly walks the beach early, and when confronted, says her dog is an emotional support animal (for PTSD); however, it is not wearing anything - tag or harness - that shows that.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... imals.html

In brief, emotional support dogs (aka, pets.... I would argue all pets are emotional support animals but that is another discussion), do not have access rights to stores, restaurants or public spaces. Only certified service dogs have public access rights.

"Florida’s service animal law applies to animals that are trained to do work or perform tasks for someone with a physical, mental, psychiatric, sensory, or intellectual disability. The work the animal does must be directly related to the person’s disability."

"For access to public accommodations, only service dogs and miniature horses are covered."

"Neither law covers pets or what some call “emotional support animals”: animals that provide a sense of safety, companionship, and comfort to those with psychiatric or emotional disabilities or conditions. Although these animals often have therapeutic benefits, they are not individually trained to perform specific tasks for their handlers. Under the ADA and Florida law, owners of public accommodations are not required to allow emotional support animals, only service animals (including psychiatric service dogs)."

Susan
All my misspelled words, typos, and grammatical errors, are intentional, and intended to troll and provoke.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:41 pm

As they say, a picture is as a thousand words!!

I captured this scene from the zoom cam today. A few seconds later, dog and human were splashing around in the water.
03-21-18 NB Dog frolicking on Beach.jpg
03-21-18 NB Dog frolicking on Beach.jpg (262.68 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
HiTide

Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:14 am

Put me on County Payroll and I'll educate visitors and hand out fines if neccessary
Going Nuts

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:41 am

EconProf wrote:Citizen's Arrest! Citizen's Arrest!
Wish there was a way to put Barney's accent in here!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:49 am

Gomer's revenge was pretty funny, too:

[video][/video]
AngelGirl

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”