Why don't we have NO PETS signs up and down the gulf side?

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:51 pm

AngelGirl wrote:As soon as I hear back from Environmental Services, I will post their reply and hopefully the exact wording of the Ordinance as it relates to pets on the beaches of Santa Rosa County.
Here's the word from Sonja Lusk @ SRC:

Sonja Lusk <SonjaL@santarosa.fl.gov>

Attachments12:59 PM (1 hour ago)
to Roger, Web, me

Ordinance 2004-30, Section 4-37 B is attached for your review. Dogs are not permitted on any part of the beach.

Dogs may be walked on a leash on the multi use paths, it is a requirement that dog waste be collected and disposed of.

Hope this helps!

Sonja Lusk
Administrative Assistant III
Santa Rosa County, Navarre Beach Dept.
1411 Utility Drive | Navarre Beach, Florida 32566
P: 850.981.8882| F: 850.981.8887
Santarosa.fl.gov | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

https://library.municode.com/fl/santa_r ... COCO_CH4AN

(I've only briefly scanned the document and do not find the part referring to the waste control that Sonja mentions.)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Tracy210T

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:39 pm

....but we need this enforced. Dog waste is hazardous to your health. Noone is going to scoop up yellow sand and haul it away, more like it will get sand kicked over it. :roll: It doesn't matter to me how many "responsible" pet owners are out there. Dogs pooping on the beach shouldn't be happening.
Im waiting on some emails back. I will go on and email SRSO and ask they be more vigilant about giving fines to people who refuse to obey the ordinances. And I will program animal control in my cell for worst case scenarios. Im pretty much on the beach every non raining weekend from March- October. If anything else is heard, please update here! XXOO
... just dreamin' of the beach, as usual...
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:02 pm

FYI we were told the dog catcher (not sure if that is the same as Animal Control) is in/comes from Milton.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:23 am

gailjean wrote:FYI we were told the dog catcher (not sure if that is the same as Animal Control) is in/comes from Milton.
Are they not just for collecting loose animals (no owner in sight)? I don't think they are sworn officers, nor can issue citations?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:47 am

Pete wrote:
gailjean wrote:FYI we were told the dog catcher (not sure if that is the same as Animal Control) is in/comes from Milton.
Are they not just for collecting loose animals (no owner in sight)? I don't think they are sworn officers, nor can issue citations?
I'm not sure, Pete. When I talked with Blaylock's office a few weeks ago about whether dogs were allowed to be walked on leashes in the Marine Park, she told me the dog catcher was in Milton and also where he parks to observe when he comes to Navarre Beach. I took that to mean he was somehow involved in the enforcement process. But I could be wrong.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:58 am

Pete wrote:
This may help clarify to some degree but text of the entire ordinance is located at the link below. As far as the enforcement of the "pooper scooper" ordinance, further investigation will be required to find that out. Sorry, I've not yet been able to locate the text of the "pooper scooper" ordinance.

SECTION 5. CITATIONS.
The Animal Control Officers are hereby authorized to issue citations and notices to appear for the violation of the Animal Control Ordinance when based upon personal investigation the officer has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a violation has occurred.

More at:
https://www.santarosa.fl.gov/web-docume ... -7-200.pdf
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:59 am

There is an article in the Pensacola News Journal about a new dedicated animal control officer for the dog beach park.

We've had locals here in Navarre tell us about it and thought about taking our dogs there. According to the article, one of the rules says your dog must have an Escambia County Animal license. So I guess out of state visitors and residents of Navarre can't bring their dogs there.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/pe ... 372981002/
Tracy210T

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:15 am

I would think animal control would come and monitor our beaches once in a while but I could be dreaming. The cop who lives at the beach can!

So this past weekend I noticed that there are big grey clear signs at the parking areas, all 12, down gulf blvd, except the first one, across from the water tower. There is NO sign there. Maybe someone took it down ?? That is usually the only place I go so that would explain why I never saw it.

I spent the whole weekend at the beach last weekend. Guess how many people were walking their dogs.... :roll:
I sure do go right up to every one of them and tell them to please take their dog off the beach.

That is crazy that people from out of state cant bring their dogs to the dog park! If the dog has a county licensing tag on it's collar should it matter where they live?
Tracy210T

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 am

gailjean wrote:Thanks for pursuing this so diligently, Tracy210T! Enforcement, even during the off season, would be a big help. Some people think when not many are on the beach, it's ok to do it.

Hope they realize it is not just down by the pier area, too.

Thanks again.
:wink: I don't know if im doing anything but complaining, but im trying. Thanks <3
HiTide

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:47 am

I spoke to two people last weekend about the issue and informed both that there is a county ordinance regarding dogs on the beach.
One women got belligerent. Then the other lady when I told her of the ordinance she asked even in the winter, and then I only bring dog out early when not as many people are around.

Can't figure people out
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:54 am

HiTide wrote:I spoke to two people last weekend about the issue and informed both that there is a county ordinance regarding dogs on the beach.
One women got belligerent. Then the other lady when I told her of the ordinance she asked even in the winter, and then I only bring dog out early when not as many people are around.

Can't figure people out
With no regular enforcement, year-round, people will continue to do this.

Altho the one lady is being thoughtful, I guess, bringing her dog out when there are not many people around, it encourages and sends a message to others that it is indeed ok - that is what I told an acquaintance of mine who was doing the same. And more dogs on the beach = more chance some will not pick up after them. I already have seen dog poop washed up in the surf. Glad I no longer have little kids digging in the sand.
sevenoverpar

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:47 am

I checked just about every public access parking area on Navarre Beach... all but one have signs that say "NO PETS ALLOWED". It is the last item on a sign that has many "don'ts" listed, ie; no overnight camping, no fires, etc.

Been coming here now for our 8th winter and always see dogs on the beach in the AM. Saw one peeing last week. I'm afraid with no real law enforcement on the beach it's pretty much a lost cause. I have said something to several people over the years... pretty much same excuses, no one is out here, she won't poop here, he's a therapy dog (which is pretty much a scam anyway). THEY JUST DON'T CARE IS THE MAIN REASON. If it's not going to cost them a few bucks with a fine you can pretty much forget it... taking your dog on the beach is pretty much like tearing the tag off your mattress, nothing happens.
Tracy210T

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Yes, you are all correct. Frustrating to say the least. I did email a few people yesterday to please put the big grey sign back up at the first parking area across from the water tower. It is down. Gone, vanished. Fire wood somewhere im sure :roll:
I DARE someone to get beligerant with me. It happened once and I just whipped out my phone and said no problem. I have animal control and the Santa Rosa cop who lives down in the park, right here on my cell on speed dial and walked off aways pretending to talk on the phone and point in her direction.
She sure did shut her mouth and take fido right off the beach. NO means NO. None of us are above the law. Not with littering, camping over night, having a day fire on the beach for hot dogs or walking our DOGS on the beach. There are a million places to go walk your dog. Why are they so hell bent on it being the @#$% beach! Does that dog really go home and sleep better because it got to walk on the beach? Seriously. And I think the "therapy" dogs out there are lies too.

Im going to email the cop that lives out there and animal control right now to please get out there and monitor the beach more and please write some citations. Maybe that will open some eyes.
rexy

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:29 pm

I have lived close to the ocean most of my life, and it seems wherever there is a family type beach, dog owners think they have a right to 'walk' there animals there claiming all sorts of excuses to do it and have no intentions of cleaning up, I do not want to pet your dog, ask his name, how old it is, and do not want it sniffing my leg or higher.
Tracy210T

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:21 pm

rexy wrote:I have lived close to the ocean most of my life, and it seems wherever there is a family type beach, dog owners think they have a right to 'walk' there animals there claiming all sorts of excuses to do it and have no intentions of cleaning up, I do not want to pet your dog, ask his name, how old it is, and do not want it sniffing my leg or higher.
Agreed. I love dogs. I have had them my whole life. They sleep on memory foam beds on leather couches, have overflowing food bowls, a huge yard to pay in and lots of toys as well as full annual vet attention. They even go on our mountain vacations every year. But when I see a no dog sign, I don't break the law.

Ive emailed the sheriff and animal control. I will report here if/when I get a response. Thanks guys.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”