Why don't we have NO PETS signs up and down the gulf side?

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
Tracy210T

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:11 pm

I'm a native, been here over 40 years. Just recently seen a big upswing in the amount of people walking dogs on the gulf side and when out shelling early, lots of paw prints. I know dogs aren't allowed on the gulf side but every time I stop someone walking their dog (twice today) I hear the same thing- "well there are no signs"... which I get. Especially to visitors to the area.
I posted on Concerned Citizens of Navarre, Facebook and of course within half an hour, there are 40 comments, some nice and agreeable, many were nasty, name calling, insults, the normal for Navarre. So I turned off comments and just reminded everyone there are fines in place for taking pets on the gulf side of the beach.

Who can we talk to about putting up signs at the main beach and all of the parking areas? I have dogs and love dogs but don't want to dig my toes into yellow sand. Those who don't truly love the beach really do not get it....they just want to argue. :roll:
... just dreamin' of the beach, as usual...
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:46 pm

We've been in a beach side condo since early November. Big uptick in people bringing dogs on the beach. Just saw an older couple with two small dogs sitting in chairs on the beach. I was going to say something, but it look like the dogs had some sort of tags on, like service or emotional support animals. Not sure what the rules are for those. We did come across some dog turds washed up on shore last month. So pleasant. Wondering if the children or grandchildren of one of those people who were being so nasty happened to sit/step in dog poop or pee, how would they feel then? Not to mention hookworm and such we can all get if they really let it get out of hand.

We have told our condo association they should have a sign at the end of the walk way. All other crossovers should have one as well. I'm hoping they put one up - makes it harder for people to feign innocence.

Did you know, that on the island, it is an ordinance to pick up after your dog poops? Apparently the only place there is such a law/ordinance in Navarre. We always do, but notice the huge amount of other people who don't, despite the garbage cans and free bags. We never knew it was required, though until last month. They need to put signs up along the sidewalk saying that too. And then enforce it.
Tracy210T

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:00 pm

I did not know that, about the ordinance but I'm glad its in place. I walk/ jog that trail along the beach all the time and see dog poop every time. People are just lazy and they don't care. Navarre Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. It sickens me to see animals down on the sand. Only because the owners wont clean up behind them. Its also hard to get mad when there are no signs anywhere. That has to change. Ive sent out a few emails, including the Navarre Beach Association for some guidance. I will update as soon as I hear.
In the meantime, from a safe distance, feel free to let people know with animals that they need to go on down to the dog beach down by Portofino :roll:
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:53 am

I would also contact the BOCC - especially District 4 member Rob Williamson.
Can also contact Roger Blaylock, he is (or at least was) the administrator in the county responsible for Navarre Beach.
NBLRA is also a good place to engage. They, along with Commissioner Williamson, made a big push to remove excessive signs from Navarre Beach - may be a push to some back, even if needed.
Finally - need to convince SRC Sheriff Dept. to actually cite (even if just a "warning") a few people - then the word would get around. Not only dogs on beach or not picking up, but also walking on the dunes/berm and leaving stuff on the beach (the "leave no trace" regulation).
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:27 am

It would also be nice if they would replace the signage that was taken down this winter in the boat launch parking area, saying no overnight camping/parking, and enforce it. They may want to clarify the signage too - as in no overnight camping on beach and in parking lot. The "Free Navarre Beach RV Campground" was very popular this winter. Not only did people just park their RVs there, they were actually staying in them.

Without clear signage and consistent enforcement (at least in the beginning), Navarre Beach will continue to have problems. And yes, we have called.

I do find some signage confusing, like the "no camping." We also found out that the Navarre Marine Park does not allow dogs to be in it all, even walking on the sidewalks/road. I know the entrance sign says no dogs, but we assumed it meant no dogs on the beach.

People who justify going onto the beach with animals by saying we pick up after them, only go early in the morning or when there aren't so many people, our dogs are well-behaved, etc. (we have acquaintances that have used these excuses when we inform them of the ordinances) - while I understand, what they are doing is further confusing the issue and encouraging others to bring dogs down there too.
Tracy210T

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:52 am

Ah. Great info. Thank you. I will contact as many people in charge as I can. One would think the no dogs sign would be a major one to leave up. Camping overnight on the beach should be a stiff and painful fine IMO.
I'm sitting on the beach right now looking around at what appears to be remnants of overnighters. Sigh.

Thank you for any advice guys!
Tracy210T

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Pete wrote:I would also contact the BOCC - especially District 4 member Rob Williamson.
Can also contact Roger Blaylock, he is (or at least was) the administrator in the county responsible for Navarre Beach.
NBLRA is also a good place to engage. They, along with Commissioner Williamson, made a big push to remove excessive signs from Navarre Beach - may be a push to some back, even if needed.
Finally - need to convince SRC Sheriff Dept. to actually cite (even if just a "warning") a few people - then the word would get around. Not only dogs on beach or not picking up, but also walking on the dunes/berm and leaving stuff on the beach (the "leave no trace" regulation).
I sent an email to Mr. Williamson, Mr. Blaylock, the NBLRA President Peter Birkhead and a message through the SRSO FB page about monitoring the beach for animals. And yesterday, an email to the Navarre Beach Association for advice.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Tracy210T

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:48 am

So Peter with NBLRA says there are signs at the entrance to the parks, main beach and all 12 parking areas...I've never seen them. You guys?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:24 am

Pick up after you pet - no signs at all. On the Blvd, there is a sign that says your dog should be on a leash. There are also garbage cans with bags to use for pickup (which is very nice), but no where is there signage saying it's required for people to pick up their dogs' poop.

Boat Trailer Parking area:
The small white signs, saying no camping, etc. that were at each entrance to the boat trailer parking area were there in November. The one on the Gulf Blvd side suddenly "disappeared" shortly after some notices were placed in Dec. on the vehicles that had been left there for days (truck with a flat tire, boat on a trailer). The other one by the entrance near the Tom Thumb disappeared right around Mardi Gras - I think right beforehand. The appropriate office was notified (if I can find my notes, I'll post that), and the woman who answered was aghast and said she would tell her boss (maybe it is Blaylock?). I have seen people in that parking lot bringing dogs over to the beach on the sound side. We walk through it every day - I see no signs there about no dogs on the beach. There is a sign at the Gulf Blvd entrance, that says "no Overnight Boat Trailer Parking" or words to that effect.

The entrance into the beach parking areas in the Navarre park do have signs that says no dogs on the beach. I think the parking area by the pier has some signage too. Not sure about the other parking areas. However, I know our condo walkover says nothing about dogs, and I bet the public ones don't either. FYI I notice alot of dogs that go on the beach seem to come from the area where the two sets of two story condos are, right before the new Springhill Suites. I have also seen people walking dogs to/from the beach over the public walkway next to Carribean resort condo. So I assume their is no sign there, but I haven't checked. Maybe I'll do that this week.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:31 am

Tracy210T wrote:So Peter with NBLRA says there are signs at the entrance to the parks, main beach and all 12 parking areas...I've never seen them. You guys?
Can't say I've noticed. Will leave it to those living out there, or visit the beach more than I.
(since wife has become more "mobility challenged", we don't do the walkovers but go to Opel Beach or other National Seashore access where it is flatter.)

Related - don't know about others, but I wouldn't be opposed to a segregated Navarre Dog Beach area. Not sure where at the moment. I guess no one with beachfront property would want it in front of thier property, so that leaves somewhere in one of the parks?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Tracy210T

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:09 am

Pete wrote:
Tracy210T wrote:So Peter with NBLRA says there are signs at the entrance to the parks, main beach and all 12 parking areas...I've never seen them. You guys?
Can't say I've noticed. Will leave it to those living out there, or visit the beach more than I.
(since wife has become more "mobility challenged", we don't do the walkovers but go to Opel Beach or other National Seashore access where it is flatter.)

Related - don't know about others, but I wouldn't be opposed to a segregated Navarre Dog Beach area. Not sure where at the moment. I guess no one with beachfront property would want it in front of thier property, so that leaves somewhere in one of the parks?
Im guessing if there are signs, they are super small. Im gonna drive out there tonight and look :shock:

Im cool with a Navarre dog park on the beach. We can maybe see something like that pop up eventually. As long as there is a designated area and those of us not wanting to pull up dog poop with our olive shells have a choice, im good.

Just got an email from Mr. Williamson that says "We are working on the issue".
So do we have signs or not? :roll:
And Mr. Blaylock says people are allowed to camp overnight at the parking area next to Juanas. Really??

Gail- thanks!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Tracy210T wrote:
Pete wrote:

Im guessing if there are signs, they are super small. Im gonna drive out there tonight and look :shock:

Im cool with a Navarre dog park on the beach. We can maybe see something like that pop up eventually. As long as there is a designated area and those of us not wanting to pull up dog poop with our olive shells have a choice, im good.

Just got an email from Mr. Williamson that says "We are working on the issue".
So do we have signs or not? :roll:
And Mr. Blaylock says people are allowed to camp overnight at the parking area next to Juanas. Really??

Gail- thanks!
Interesting. Not what we were told by whomever we spoke to last month. And notices were posted twice on overnight RVs and other vehicles there this past Dec/January. Additionally, that is not what the specific ordinance says. We even asked the woman we spoke to if the ordinance had been changed or rescinded - she said it had not. I call shenanigans on his reply, unless he means the parking lot that is directly next to Juana's. We never noticed overnight RVs there. But the boat launch area parking lot specifically still says "no overnight boat trailer parking" and up until someone recently removed them, there were small white signs with the ordinances listed, one being no camping. THAT's where the RVs stay. It was full of them for a few days around the Mardi Gras parade (I assume they let that go due to the parade). I guess if locals, etc. don't mind that area eventually becoming known as the FREE Navarre Beach RV Park, who are we to question? Kinda wonder how busy it gets during the summer, and if RVs and boat trailers compete for space.

I must say - there are signs about "no dogs on the beach" as you drive over the causeway. Right before Jauna's, there is a small sign on that side of the road. There is an additional sign directly opposite Juana's (left side of road, but you see it as you are going towards the island.) So I guess you can say there are plenty of signs. Not that anyone reads or obeys.

Some periodic enforcement, even during the winter, would really help, if they don't want to post too many signs.

I do have one question - one guy who lives full time here says there is a woman who regularly walks a big black poodle type dog on the beach. They have approached her. She says she suffers from PTSD and it is her service dog - no special collar or tag or anything else in view. She said she had something on her phone to prove it. Doesn't sound legit to me, but if it is, it brings up another question - are service/comfort dogs allowed on the beach?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:54 pm

As soon as I hear back from Environmental Services, I will post their reply and hopefully the exact wording of the Ordinance as it relates to pets on the beaches of Santa Rosa County.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Tracy210T

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks guys.
Any help is appreciated. Ive been living here all my life and ive never seen any signs. I will really look for them now when I go out there!

Just got CCd on an email from Commissioner Rob Williamson sent to Roger Blaylock and a few other people reading: (he was forwarding my email)

Roger, not sure how this has been handled/ corrected in the past. Folks bringing dogs to the beach is becoming more and more of an issue. The last three times our family have been to the pier area specifically, we have seen dogs at the beach. I love dogs but there needs to be some improved enforcement of existing code. Erecting a sign will not be sufficient.

So yay! Maybe someone is going to give this attention!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks for pursuing this so diligently, Tracy210T! Enforcement, even during the off season, would be a big help. Some people think when not many are on the beach, it's ok to do it.

Hope they realize it is not just down by the pier area, too.

Thanks again.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”