June Grass

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
Kritynlayne

Thu May 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Hello! My family and I are getting there next Saturday. Watching the live feed lately we see a lot of June Grass and purple flags. I am assuming they go hand in hand since Sea lice is usually around with June grass. Any idea on how long it stays around?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu May 18, 2017 6:10 pm

No way of knowing for certain ... mostly, it's when a good strong north wind blows it back out to sea!
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
LaTJ

Fri May 19, 2017 3:35 pm

We were there last week. June grass was there one day and gone the next. One day it was in front of us and clear a few hundred yards down the beach. the next just the opposite. It is what it is. I'd imagine the purple flags are for jelly fish as we were being picked by a few. Enjoy your trip!
TJ

edit: this dumb coonass didn't realize sea lice were baby jelly fish.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri May 19, 2017 4:04 pm

LaTJ wrote:We were there last week. June grass was there one day and gone the next. One day it was in front of us and clear a few hundred yards down the beach. the next just the opposite. It is what it is. I'd imagine the purple flags are for jelly fish as we were being picked by a few. Enjoy your trip!
TJ

You're probably not the only one who didn't realize that ... ;)
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Fri May 19, 2017 4:27 pm

I didn't know it!

darondyer

Sat May 20, 2017 7:39 am

Put me on the list too. :roll:
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 am

OK -- in the interest of keeping NB beach-goers informed and healthy, here's a little helpful info. This is some of the "sea life" referred to when you see the PURPLE flags.

To see the associated photos to the article, click on the link below for the article WITH photos:

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/20 ... coast.html

Sea lice: How to avoid them, and how to treat the stings

Jed Lipinski, NOLA.com |
The Times-Picayune By Jed Lipinski, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Follow on Twitter
on June 13, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Purple flags on the beach signify marine pests in the water, such as jellyfish, stingrays and dangerous fish. But the miniscule size of thimble jellyfish larvae, commonly known as "sea lice," makes them especially difficult to detect; often, beach monitors learn of their presence only after swimmers come into contact with them, with painful results.

Sea lice swarms recently made their way to Santa Rosa Beach and South Walton Beach in the Florida Panhandle. Their levels tend to peak in the Caribbean Sea and on the Florida Gulf coast between April and July.

But there are a variety of measures one can take to avoid sea lice, and to treat the stings after encountering them in the surf.

What are the symptoms?

Sea lice stings usually occur after the critters become trapped in the space where skin and bathing suit material meet. Typical symptoms include an itchy red rash and small blisters, though severe reactions can range from fever and chills to headaches and nausea, especially among children, according to the Florida Department of Health. Symptoms normally do not begin until four to six hours after leaving the water, and they can last as long as two weeks.

How to avoid sea lice stings?

Beyond scanning the beach for purple flags, health officials suggest wearing a tight-fitting wetsuit, like those used by divers, if you suspect sea lice are present in the water. Wearing a T-shirt or other loose-fitting clothes in the waves is frowned upon, as they increase the amount of fabric in which the organisms can become trapped. Similar, women are advised to wear two-piece swimsuits as opposed to one-piece suits, reducing the risk of a more severe reaction.

Some evidence suggests that certain topical sunscreens can prevent the skin from being penetrated by nematocysts, the stinging structures present in jellyfish and sea anemones, according to the Florida Department of Health. Certain commercial lotions claim to provide protective barriers against sea lice stings.

What if I suspect exposure?

If you suspect you have been exposed to sea lice in the water, officials recommend immediately removing your bathing suit and showering in hot water. They also suggest washing your suit with detergent and drying it under high heat to kill any remaining larvae, which can otherwise continue to spread a rash. For this reason, it might be a good idea to take an extra suit to the beach.

What if I have been stung?

Applying antihistamines and hydrocortisone creams can treat the itchiness and rash that result from sea lice exposure, Florida health officials say. More severe reactions may benefit from a corticosteroid cream, and the recurrence of symptoms could improve with oral or intramuscular steroids.

For children, bathing in colloidal oatmeal and applying calamine lotion can help reduce rash and itchiness. Experts recommend that parents keep their kids' fingernails trimmed to prevent them from scratching the lesions and spreading the rash.

The symptoms associated with sea lice exposure are not contagious. But if secondary infections occur or the lesions do not resolve within two weeks, health officials advise following up with a dermatologist.

#
AngelGirl

gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sat May 20, 2017 9:39 am

AngelGirl wrote:
LaTJ wrote:We were there last week. June grass was there one day and gone the next. One day it was in front of us and clear a few hundred yards down the beach. the next just the opposite. It is what it is. I'd imagine the purple flags are for jelly fish as we were being picked by a few. Enjoy your trip!
TJ

You're probably not the only one who didn't realize that ... ;)
I had no clue either!

And thanks for the info, AG :)

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”