Leather back turtle nest

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
darondyer

Sun May 14, 2017 12:15 pm

Friday Night,
A Leatherback turtle laid her eggs right out from the Sugar Beach, Beach view walkover during the storms.
They put up some sticks and pink tape around it.
No one seems to pay much attention to it. To me, this is a big deal, seeing this turtle is not a Native species.
Maybe its just me, but any one could easily damage this nest. I hope to God, they don't.
I would think someone would be monitoring this more closely.
The beach patrol is always some young kids that are talking about what they are going to do after work, not paying attention to anything.
I might be out of line, or am expecting too much, but I've seen nests monitored before way more closely than this one.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun May 14, 2017 3:16 pm

darondyer wrote:Friday Night,
A Leatherback turtle laid her eggs right out from the Sugar Beach, Beach view walkover during the storms.
They put up some sticks and pink tape around it.
No one seems to pay much attention to it. To me, this is a big deal, seeing this turtle is not a Native species.
Maybe its just me, but any one could easily damage this nest. I hope to God, they don't.
I would think someone would be monitoring this more closely.
The beach patrol is always some young kids that are talking about what they are going to do after work, not paying attention to anything.
I might be out of line, or am expecting too much, but I've seen nests monitored before way more closely than this one.
Wow! That is quite an experience to get to see. Did you see the event occur and do you have photos or videos?

I would suggest contacting either or both of these entities. There is contact info located on each link.

https://www.facebook.com/navarrebeachseaturtles/

http://www.navarrebeachseaturtles.org/
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Going Nuts

Mon May 15, 2017 7:35 am

Vandalism to turtle nests doesn't happen very often since the penalties are so severe. Hopefully this nest will be safe and secure since it's close to a condo and people will be watching it. The biggest hurdle may be to keep the hatchlings from getting confused by the lights from the unit and not being able to find the water's edge.
darondyer

Mon May 15, 2017 12:48 pm

I did not witness it. A woman from a local organization told my wife about it. She had white hair with a purple patch in the front. I don't go out on the beach when its storming.
They are aware the nest is here. I was just voicing my concern.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue May 16, 2017 8:54 am

darondyer wrote:.... or am expecting too much, but I've seen nests monitored before way more closely than this one.
OK - in jest (really!) - you could volunteer to monitor this nest 24/7 until it hatches? :D :wink: :shock:

Not so much in jest - yea, would be nice to be able to keep a closer watch - but just not enough folks volunteer for such. (and would have to have higher taxes to have paid security? - can't hardly get the sheriff deputies to address those that walk on the dunes, take dogs on the beach, or leave chairs/canopies on the beach overnight, or other litter/glass on beach - all of which are "illegal"?).

There seems to be either a decreasing level of volunteers, or what volunteers there are - are spread over increasing volunteer opportunities. Anyway, many worthy volunteer events and/or projects are experiencing "shortages" of volunteers.
For example, the Panhandle Butterfly House has had to curtail school/group tours (Mon-Wed) due to lack of volunteer tour guides, occasionally has had to not open on a scheduled public visit day (Thurs-Sat) due to volunteer docent shortage, and no longer is open on Sunday afternoons (lost the docents who used to take Sundays - they moved to a retirement home in FWB and no longer drive - no one wanted to cover that day.) Oh and the PBH always needs additional help with maintenance of the gardens and facilities?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
darondyer

Tue May 16, 2017 12:20 pm

I meant no disrespect Pete. I didn't know it was only Volunteers.
I will watch over it the two weeks I am here. :D
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue May 16, 2017 1:07 pm

darondyer wrote:I meant no disrespect Pete. I didn't know it was only Volunteers.
I will watch over it the two weeks I am here. :D
Your concern brought up an issue that we probably need to re-address here on this forum ... that of encouraging volunteerism, so I for one and probably a lot of others, too, thank you for bringing some light to this situation. Most of us posting on the forum live far away so can't volunteer for these things on a regular basis ... but locals do read, too, so maybe this will make some folks aware of the need!

:)

In case you haven't seen this, here is our post of a video of baby loggerheads hatching:

http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... =87&t=4375
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
darondyer

Tue May 16, 2017 3:06 pm

That was a pretty cool Video.
I am from Kentucky and only make it here once a year.
I am a Factory worker of 30 years.
I always come for two weeks in May.
Please don't take my post the wrong way.
I am ignorant of the way things work here such as this.
I thought there was paid Conservation for the turtles.
Thank You for the Video,
Daron
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue May 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Hey -- No problem! 8) Glad you enjoyed the video!

We're just glad you get to visit when you do ... rest, relax and have a wonderful visit! Beach-life is a lot different from what we experience in the "land-locked" areas, isn't it? :) We've been blessed to experience both and enjoy the environments in both areas!
AngelGirl

darondyer

Wed May 17, 2017 7:34 pm

I don't know if you guys saw today's Navarre Press, but I'm not the only one who thinks this is a big deal. :)
Linda
Power User
Power User

Wed May 17, 2017 7:43 pm

I've seen one or two leatherbacks in a pond on Eglin AFB. Never on the Gulf. Pretty cool. I was reading about them and they are mostly on the east coast of Florida. Migrations occur, I'm guessing, or maybe people have moved them in. I hope they remain protected and survive well.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”