Homeowners and dogs

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
klslfla

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:10 pm

My husband and I are considering purchasing a home or a lot on Navarre Beach, and we noticed that many homes are surrounded by all sand and no grass, which is awesome. We have a greyhound, though, and are wondering what owners do with their dogs? Do you always walk them? Fence the sand and let them have at it? In other places, I've also seen people make potty areas out of gravel. What kinds of things do people do here with yards of sand when they have dogs, bigger ones in particular?

Thank you!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:52 pm

It all depends. I can only speak firsthand for homes on the island and transactions undertaken over the last 12 months.

If you live in a condo development you have to abide by the HOA rules. While it does depend on the HOA usually they only allow one or at most two small dogs. A greyhound is most likely out of the question. Two of the three HOA rules I have seen over the last year actually restrict the size of the pet dog to a number of pounds, under 25 or 30.

If you live in your own one family house built on its own lot, you may not have quite so restrictive lease options. Remember, you don't own 'land' on Santa Rosa Island, you only lease it, so there are still restrictions that are not the case on the mainland. I have seen one or two houses (only one or two) with rough wood typical beach style fences round them but in my view, they don't look strong or high enough to contain a greyhound.

So to answer your question directly, we are a family with three dogs at the house in Texas. The smallest one would in my view, be OK on the island (he is a Doxie) but there are still laws about walking a dog on the leash and on the sidewalk. I know a couple of people who walk small dogs (no more than 30 pounds) two or three times a day and always on the leash. Even last week with all the rain. No dogs allowed on the beach. Period. At least that is the official line and for the most part its observed, at least by the local population. remember, Santa Rosa Island is a nature preserve. There are several areas of grass where the local dog community "leave messages for each other" and you are encouraged to carry a supply of plastic bags to pick up those messages, once left. I'm thinking out front of the Beachview Condos where they even have one of those dispensers for small plastic baggies too, just in case you forget your own supply.

This entire issue is one of the factors my wife and I are taking into account for our move to Navarre. As a "dog family", we are limited to the places there to live. None of the condo developments is one example of that limitation, even if it would be a much more cost effective way to live on the Island than a larger house of our own... Just saying is all...
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:28 pm

No dogs on either beach - Gulfside or soundside.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
klslfla

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:55 am

Does that include private property? We're looking at single family homes, and many of the properties, even in the middle of the island, have sandy yards instead of grassy yards, and I'm just not sure what that means for dogs.

I've heard that Navarre Beach has a friendly dog community, and I've seen dogs being walked on residential streets. So, how do people facilitate them taking care of business when they live in single family homes?

Thanks!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:28 am

klslfla wrote:Does that include private property? We're looking at single family homes, and many of the properties, even in the middle of the island, have sandy yards instead of grassy yards, and I'm just not sure what that means for dogs.

I've heard that Navarre Beach has a friendly dog community, and I've seen dogs being walked on residential streets. So, how do people facilitate them taking care of business when they live in single family homes?

Thanks!
Alright... Long reply here - sorry:

The official view is complicated, but for your evening bedtime reading:

1. This is the latest set of Animal ordinances for SRC:

https://www.santarosa.fl.gov/animals/do ... inance.pdf

https://www.municode.com/library/fl/san ... COCO_CH4AN

2. All of the island area is also under leash law:

https://www.santarosa.fl.gov/documents/SRCLeashLaw.pdf

"Leash Law/Direct Control Areas: animals in a leash law area require you to maintain direct control.
The term "Direct Control" shall mean immediate, continuous physical control of an animal at all times such as by means of a fence, leash, or chain of such strength to restrain the same. As defined by Santa Rosa County Ordinance, Article II, Sections 4-27"

= = = =

It all goes on with bylaws for the beach areas and such.

So much for the official views (fines, confiscation and so on).

What does this mean in practice?

As far as I am aware, the bylaws for the Island are clear, in that you can only walk a dog from your lease on a leash and with tags fixed to the collar/leash, to the nearest Gulf Blvd access and then along Gulf Blvd on the paved footpath only. Nowhere else. No pets of any kind are allowed on the beach or on the berms or other sandy areas.

Its also deeply unsocial of any pet owner to allow a pet to wander on the island off the leash. The island is a nature preserve and many active wildlife campaigners are in the area. One lose dog can undo the best part of an entire season of turtle or wild bird nesting, so many people will play a role in ensuring a lose dog is captured and taken to the pound in Milton or is otherwise disposed of if its aggressive. Think this isn't taken seriously? You should have seen the fuss last year when a couple of kids chased some pairs of nesting birds on the causeway.

Just remember, leash laws apply so a fenced in back yard that they absolutely cannot dig out of or escape from is essential as is a strong leash/chain (see SRC laws above) as is microchipping and a supply of small poop baggies. Some of the condo HOA's have dog spaces (I mentioned Beach View) and in practice, nobody is going to stop you from using the grass space in front of there for example, so long as you clean up after your pet. There is a small dog community on the Island, no more than perhaps a dozen or maybe 20 dogs, and yes, they are often to be seen walking along Gulf Blvd.
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Here's something to consider. Pensacola and Perdido Key have "dog beaches" which allows them to roam the beach on a leash. I believe the difference lies in whether it's a national or state run park. I have cats but all my friends have dogs and feel for them on vacations.
klslfla

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks for the information! I'm surprised to hear that more people who have yards don't fence them in and find a good way to use them for their dogs, even though there's no grass. Having to walk the dog 4-5 times a day is very inconvenient. We were hoping to get away from that by moving from a condo to a house, so this is helpful (and disappointing!) to hear. I appreciate all of your help and info. We'll investigate the neighborhood rules carefully when we're looking.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:14 pm

klslfla wrote:I appreciate all of your help and info ... We'll investigate the neighborhood rules carefully when we're looking.
You are welcome and yes, knowing what you are getting into is vital.
softbutchharley

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:38 pm

One of the reasons we chose off island purchase. We love our dogs and neighbors and beach... and are one of those mouthy defenders of no glass/dogs/trash etc on our beaches. So we bought 10 minutes from beach...no hoa....wonderful neighbors....quiet......and LARGE yard for our family..... hth :)

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.

Desmond Tutu
[center]The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Desmond Tutu[/center]

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”