Living on Navarre Beach

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
LastLight

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:55 am

We are considering purchasing a home on Navarre beach. Love the community, beach, home, and life style. However I lived in Navarre back in 2004 when IVAN ripped through devastating the island community and even further inland. This is my only hesitation from buying out there.

I guess we have to accept the risk knowing the rewards are wonderful.

How do others deal with those thoughts? IVAN left a great fear in my wife's thoughts.

I so want to make the leap but just cant seem to get past this hesitation.

advice, thoughts, opinions
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:32 am

Well, we solved that dilemma by living inland with easy access to all that NW FL offers ~ granted, you do not wake up to a view of the Gulf but I enjoyed having actual soil to plant in, being away from the beach during the flurry of the tourist season, and we were still able to witness amazing sunsets and sunrises. For us, it was the "best of both worlds" living just a bit inland! As with everything in this life, there are trade-offs.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:42 pm

Lastlight,

Let me give you a couple of things to think about and consider

#1: It is not a matter of "if" another storm hits Navarre Beach. It is when and it will. That's just the facts. It is gonna happen again and it could be a 2, 3, 4 or even a 5......who is to say but Navarre Beach will be hit again at some point.

#2: Are you willing to accept the risks of point number one?

You bet, it has a massive amount of positives living in that paradise on earth but it comes with risks and financial risks as well.

Which is #3: Are you prepared to absorb the cost of living there and rebuilding when #1 comes to fruition?

There could be a massive amount of difference in damage and cost in living on the beach vs. well inland, say on a piece of property overlooking East Bay or Pensacola Bay.

Hey, if you have the financial means to live there and to survive after a storm and all those costs involved and have the means/family to move to in the event of a storm, I say go for it. It has a lot of rewards as well.
LastLight

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:40 am

All good points and advice. I thank you for sharing your opinions. While it is a want and a wonderful place to live I am having real doubts now. I know its a matter of "when", and we never know what category it might be.

I try to look past the sales hype of better built quality then previous homes and that the home is 17-20ft up on pylons, greater home density plans helps the homes around you. All those things may be true but when i am living in a hotel somewhere i suspect those people won't be around.

IVAN was crazy and I made due living without power, all the damage, etc back then but it was not something I wanted to deal with again. Might have to rethink this idea some more or stay put where i am for now.

:)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:53 am

Lastlight,

In late June, my buddies and I took our boat into the East Bay to do some fishing. It was our first time in that part of the Bay. There are many places along the Bays that are somewhat protected by the landscape and topography of that particular area. Now understanding that a Cat 4 or 5 coming ashore to the slight west of Navarre is probably going to damage everything in it's path for miles, a house built 15 feet up on one of those protected shorelines, might be an option. Hey, you would be minutes from the beach, have a great location, be somewhat protected (at least better than the beach).
rexy

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:39 pm

First time at Navarre was 1965, thought what a nice place to retire, work took me all over and finally to New Orleans in 1979, had got a new wife and told her about it, and took many trips, she loved it and wanted to buy a place on the beach, but looked at the + and -, big problem storms, so I looked all over at weekends for years, finally found a place just off of Hwy 98, 3 bed Townhouse 10 min drive to the beach 18ft above sea level, convenient to stores, views across the sound, we love it.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:17 am

Similar for me. My Dad was a civil engineer with Army Corps of Engineers - Missouri River dams, levees, floods. Taught me to respect the power of water. So l live by the golf course. 15-minutes to the beach anytime I want. 30-feet above sea level (and some wind protection, too).
And, frankly, would have been quite a stretch for me to afford to live on the island, even soundside much less gulf front. Living here leaves me discretionary funds for other activities.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Sandstomper

Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:43 am

Pete, I agree 100%! I built my home on the soundside, not waterfront but several houses up from the shoreline in 2004. I then endured Ivan and Dennis with the only destruction being about 10 feet of privacy fencing and some roofing shingles that were blown off. Not enough damage to file an insurance claim.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
LastLight

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:48 pm

I wanted to say thanks for everyones input.

I decided to buy a new construction TH across from the sound and just west of the bridge.

Great location with quick access to the beach and I saved about 2/3rds what i was looking at spending out on the island.

I lived in Navarre back in 2003 and moved shortly after IVAN came through. I certainly look forward to getting back.

See ya on the paddle boards.

dave
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:50 pm

Congratulations, Dave! Prayers for a smooth and very blessed relocation!

8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
LastLight

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:25 pm

AngelGirl wrote:Congratulations, Dave! Prayers for a smooth and very blessed relocation!

8)
Luckily I don't have far to come. I am just moving from Niceville back to Navarre. :D
BCJ1958

Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:57 pm

We took the leap 3 years ago and bought a house on Gulf Blvd. Like others said its not if its when the area gets hit again. Just hope to in joy it until then. I not crazy and have no intentions on staying in the area when it gets hit. I am pretty sure I will not rebuild. But until then I plan on having fun.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”