The Tomato Man

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:03 am

Forgive me if I have inquired about this lately. My memory seems to need some Luminosity training.

Does the gentleman just west of the RV park on 98, The Tomato Man, still offer his produce during the summer months? When I was there in May, I did not see a sign or activity at his place.

Anyone know?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:29 am

Ok...duh, I guess his name is Mr. Ray. Although the question is still needing an answer.
Sandstomper

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:53 pm

Unless this year is different, Mr. Ray always has the best tomatoes and other fresh produce in the summer months. I was down last week and didn't notice the sign, but that's probably because the tomatoes aren't ripe enough yet.

Going down again next week and I'll check and report.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:39 am

Went by Yesterday (Wed.) - about 1 PM - and the "Tomato" sign was out.
Didn't stop as a friend had just given us a bag of Peppers and Tomatoes, so was not in need at the time.
Last edited by Pete on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Sandstomper

Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:53 am

Thanks Pete, I'll load up next week. I told Mr. Ray that I just couldn't grow tomatoes as good as his. He responded, "That's 'cause I know what I'm doing and you don't!" I almost fell down laughing. He is a Navarre Treasure!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:00 am

Thanks Pete. Yep, I shall get some when I am down Navarre way.
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:56 pm

Ray's opening for the season was yesterday. Word must have gotten around because he got slamed on the 1st day. I stopped by today for tomatoes, crook necks, and some peppers to grill. No silver king corn yet (larger grain than the queen but just as yummy). He has some great looking egg plants, firm, smoooth and yummy and growing just behind his stand.

Its the N.C. soil he imports that makes for the best of home grown, vine ripened, un-fridged tomatoes. :wink: :wink: :wink:
David
Sandstomper

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:44 am

Ahhh, he didn't mention the N.C. soil. He told me that he brings in mulched oak leaves and blends with the soil. I'd hate to play poker with that sly one!
Susan

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:04 am

Which RV park?
All my misspelled words, typos, and grammatical errors, are intentional, and intended to troll and provoke.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:16 am

As you turn left off the bridge heading west, the one on your left just past East River BBQ. His property is literally next to the western edge of that RV property and set back from the road. You will see a little carport type of awning.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:01 am

Yes, hard to see ( especially if the "Tomatos" or "Greens" sign not set out) - it actually looks like going into the RV park, just to the east (left) of a commercial building (realtor?) - but need to veer a tad to the right onto a gravel drive and head back towards sound.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
David
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:05 am

Sandstomper,

He does mulch as well, probably to cover that rich, dark loam! :wink: :wink: :roll: He is not fibbing, that N.C. soil is probably already loaded with some aged oak leaves.

Those that are not around in the winter are missing some of cleanest, best looking greens you will ever find. For years Ive cooked his collards for Christmas and New Years, if leaving town I make a stop at his place just before leaving to get collards and turnip greens, with turnips, to carry. Southern eats at thier best!
David
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:11 am

Stopped at the Farmer's Market in Holley yesterday - about noon (towards the end of their 9 AM- 1 PM posted hours, Saturday only) - lots of peppers of all kinds, some tomatoes, cucumbers, other stuff (some homemade jams, etc.) - while didn't need that - did get some local (Jay) fresh sweet corn - will have tonight.
It is on the east side of 87 - after making the curve from west bound to north bound, just before going up the hill to the pottery place and the new Ye Old Brother's restaurant.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Sandstomper

Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:45 pm

David, I am also a huge fan of Mr. Ray's collards. We buy them for every Thanksgiving meal. And they are indeed a highlight to the meal. The first time we bought some, my wife was amazed and impressed that he just walks to the garden and pulls them right out of the ground and wraps in newspaper. Can't get any fresher than that!!
Linda
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:07 am

I stopped last Saturday at the vegetable stand at the grass airfield. I don't think this was the tomato man. Peaches, tomatoes and watermelon aplenty!

Also, cool seeing one of the "banner" planes drop a banner, power up, circle back, and pick up another. That was a first for me. I've seen them fly all these years but never the process of attach/detach. Pretty cool.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”