Beach Erosion

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
RastaNavarrian

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:15 pm

We have owned our house for less than a year so I do not have a historical perspective. It is located near Beach Access 10. Obviously long term there is erosion hence the hopeful re-nourishment next year. I walked down to the beach last weekend (March 14) and there was a sign at the foot of the stairs about the access being closed due to erosion. Water was about 15 feet from foot of stairs, but it looked like it had reached the stairs at some point earlier in the day.

Is the beach erosion somewhat seasonal? Will it get any better or do I need to get used to a very narrow beach depth this summer (or until the re-nourishment project)?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:26 pm

Well, Rasta, first of all congratulations on being able to live in such a beautiful place ... but yes, the contours of the beach will change. As the old saying goes, 'time and tide waits for no man'! And as everything in nature, the beach simply is not static, it is always shifting and changing with the tides, with the winds and weather as well as human behaviors such as tromping down the dune vegetation, digging holes and leaving them to fill up with water overnight, etc. Yes, the renourishment will help temporarily but basically, a barrier island is there to catch the forces of nature and buffer the mainland from those forces so it is what it is. Also, anywhere the berm has been breached and vegetation has suffered, will be the first spots to suffer in the next event whether it's a full-blown hurricane or a "tropical" storm. Elevated walk-overs were built to protect the berms but as are visible on the webcam you can see several bare paths over the berm now that weren't there 3 years ago. Those will be the first places breached by storm waters from the gulf.

Every day is a new day and there is nothing like living on a barrier island to accentuate that fact!

So the advice of "don't worry, be happy" is probably good advice in the long run --- but heed the authorities and head for high ground when the weather man and the County tells you to!! ;) ( Believe me, you don't want to be there when they have to shut down traffic over the bridge and you lose power and/or access to clean water!!)
8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:00 pm

I'm so jealous of you Rasta! :mrgreen:

Nice deal om living there.

As Angel Girl says, it changes all the time. Storms, tourists, re-nourishment will all change it.

We are usually at Sugar Beach when we stay there each and every time, the sand is different.

Makes it interesting, don't you think?

8)
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
HiTide

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:09 am

We have a place at Sugar Beach. When we first started shopping for a place we went down to the beach there and were surprised at how narrow it was, compared to the wider beaches of Gulf Shores.
But loved all the aspects of Navarre Beach. Now we come down every weekend, and the beach changes from week to week and sometimes day to day depending on the weather.
And yes that's the first and last thing we do each weekend is go to the board walk and check on the beach and water conditions.

Some times Mother Nature needs a little help, and I think the berms and vegetation have held up rather well.

We consider ourselves Part Time Residents / Islanders

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”