New marina to be built in Navarre at East River Smokehouse

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:36 pm

THIS IS REALLY BIG FOR THE NAVARRE BEACH AREA

The marina will be the only marina between Pensacola Beach and Fort Walton Beach

A new marina coming to Navarre will be built behind the East River Smokehouse.

The marina will house 49 boat slips that should be available to rent by mid-May.

James Dabney, owner and builder, says they are hoping to begin construction in a couple of weeks. The marina should be partially open in mid-May and fully operational by December, if all goes according to plans.

Other services at the marina will be pontoon boat, jet ski, kayak and paddle boat rentals. They will offer day fishing charters as well as fuel and sewer services.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Trader

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:56 pm

This is great news and a much needed addition to the NB area.
Going Nuts

Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:37 am

It's fairly shallow around there, and with the long sandbar at William's Creek guarding the north side of the channel, I assume they'll need to dredge and mark a channel into the marina. Glad it's coming though. I'm getting too old to tote gas cans from the driveway to the dock.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:31 am

I wish them well with FDEP and Corps of Engineers permitting - especially if dredging is involved!
If construction is slated - already have all permits? I seem to recall a couple of other recent cases in area where "forgiveness" was asked after the fact, rather than "permission" prior?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:08 am

I don't have a dog in this hunt (yet) and I don't own a boat (although I can sympathize with Going Nuts) but I have to wonder if......this will be the start of an expansion in the Navarre area that will lead to this and that and then another shot at a channel and then who knows 10 years down the road?

I have repeatedly stated I am not a fan of commercializing THE ONLY refuge left on this part of the Panhandle. Once Navarre is commercialized, it is done. I am quite sure that at some point long ago like in the late 60's to mid 70's, people in Destin were saying the same thing.

Any thoughts?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:35 am

PensacolaKid wrote:I don't have a dog in this hunt (yet) and I don't own a boat (although I can sympathize with Going Nuts) but I have to wonder if......this will be the start of an expansion in the Navarre area that will lead to this and that and then another shot at a channel and then who knows 10 years down the road?

I have repeatedly stated I am not a fan of commercializing THE ONLY refuge left on this part of the Panhandle. Once Navarre is commercialized, it is done. I am quite sure that at some point long ago like in the late 60's to mid 70's, people in Destin were saying the same thing.

Any thoughts?
I don't want to see Navarre Beach with more commercialization than perhaps one or maybe two more places on the island like the hotel and a store or perhaps two for beach supplies and refreshments in an emergency. I do however recognize that the island is pretty well underdeveloped and it is THAT which gives it the character it has right now.

There has been some muttering elsewhere about all this. Not that there is too much wrong with the developments given the system we have right now. Of course, the discussion about incorporation can only ever be just round the corner in these discussions too, so here we go with a potentially nasty can of worms...

Bottom line is that this forum is not the best place to discuss these points - even though I do mention it I do so only to stop discussion right here and now. Lets take it to Facebook and just so long as we don't do it in the "Concerned Citizens" group, we probably will be able to discuss it there.

No political discussions here please.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Sandstomper

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:02 pm

Just a logistics question, if fishing charters are offered, is the Destin jetty the closest? Seems Pensacola Pass is further by land, but I'm sure there are those on the forum with more knowledge.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:11 pm

Brian,

I see no reason why we can't responsibly debate or have other insights into this discussion. No name calling or criticizing just discussion. If we can't do that on here what is the point of having it? We shall keep Obama out of it.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:13 pm

Yes Sandstomper....Destin Pass is closer for sure.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:23 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:Brian,

I see no reason why we can't responsibly debate or have other insights into this discussion. No name calling or criticizing just discussion. If we can't do that on here what is the point of having it? We shall keep Obama out of it.
Be aware that unless Kenny bans it, the hands and eyes of the admin staff is looking over your shoulders. The forum rules are explicit in this kind of thing and political issues tend to bring out the worst in people and that will NOT be tolerated. Be nice people... be nice. :)
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:04 pm

In response to the question of will this be the start of expansion in the Navarre area, i believe it is not necessarily a start but a slow continuance of change that has been occuring. For a variety of reasons, things seem to take a while to happen in this area but you can bet that changes will continue. The only thing that could delay things further would be another storm and/or the political environment in SRC. The possibility of NB staying the same is not too high in my opinion. Enjoy it while we can. And I would be quite fine with being wrong about this.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:36 pm

As far as "political" discussions go, let me cite these recent discussions which remained on an amiable note:

http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... =1&t=10911

http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... =political

These two samples are pretty good models of civility (so far) to go by, it would seem, at least up to this point, and are issues of interest to the local population as well as tourists and "residents-in-waiting"! ;)

As long as it is local concerns, no name calling, cursing or vitriol of any kind, it seems to be the consensus that it is allowed. People can agree to disagree, ask questions or simply disseminate information. That's allowed as far as my interpretation of the rules and regs is concerned. If I am in error, then I trust the Admin to enlighten me. Afterall, everything under the sun has a political angle, depends upon one's interpretation of the definition of the word "political"! ;) Let's not get so "politically correct" that there is no room for honest discussion or voicing ones opinion on a subject in regard to our favorite "home away from home"! The "powers that be" can actually learn a lot from reading informed "tourist" posts. Many such tourists have become productive, tax-paying residents! :)

I for one look forward to seeing an engineering report on this particular venture!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Trader

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 pm

What can be political about a Marina to be located in what amounts to the ICW?
And IMHO Facebook sucks and I will not participate in any discussions on that site.

The proposed marina is really needed in this area, after all the area is on the ICW and the Gulf of Mexico. This implies there will be boats and everything that comes with boats.

I can understand the folks who desire to keep the NB area 'back in the 60's', the 60's was the most carefree and fun time of my life but time does move on.

The NB 'Progress Genie' got out of the bottle the day the first high rise condo was permitted, not the day this marina was permitted.
Sandstomper

Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:35 pm

I for one am excited about the new marina. I think James is one heck of an entrepreneur. Makes me want to work harder and buy a boat.

The one thing that we have as a major treasure in Navarre AND that makes us different than Destin, is that if you want to escape the crowds, all you have to do is drive down to the Gulf Island National Seashore. As long as this area remains natural, we have a respite to escape whatever development moves in, while enjoying this wonderful God's created Paradise.

The area will continue to develop over time, but if you head to Destin and points East, they don't have this fantastic treasure.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
livinglarge
Power User
Power User

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:36 pm

I like the idea of growing Navarre Beach. If you don't grow you die.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”