New bridge tolls on the way for Navarre?

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:14 pm

What do you all think about the idea of having a toll back on Navarre Causeway bridge? Navarre Press is reporting it like this: "County Administrator Hunter Walker is discussing potential options to fund beach re-nourishment, such as re-implementing the Navarre Beach bridge toll."

WEAR 3 had a feature on this evenings news about it (extracts from the web site is below). The last time there was a toll, it was 50 cents. I am sure that as it was stopped last time because that amount didn't cover the costs of the team that collected it, it would be way more this time.

From WEAR:

"The Navarre Beach Bridge is functionally obsolete. So says the state Department of Transportation."

"Santa Rosa County Commissioners began the discussion on what will be needed to replace the 55-year old bridge. Commissioner Rob Williamson suggests a one dollar toll to begin raising money for the project. But commissioners have no time frame on when a replacement will be needed."

"Rob Williamson, 'The study will let us know what is the best place for Santa Rosa County to put the new bridge, but the main thing is instead of waiting to plan this out for later, instead of being so reactive. We can take a proactive stance towards this, we know that this is going to be a major capitol investment for Santa Rosa County in the future. Its the Gateway to our tourism industry'."

"Commissioners will discuss whether to hire a firm to study the matter at their meeting in February."

With about 7000 cars on the bridge each day, you can get a good idea of potential revenues.

My take on this is that yes, the bridge needs replacing and yes, it would seem reasonable to toll (tax) use of the new bridge until it is paid for - assuming this is how the county are going to part fund the cost - the majority of which should in my view come from the state. However, the old bridge if only repaired and not replaced should not be tolled. It's never a good idea to tax the local road system, the tourist business and the local population where they have no realistic option to do otherwise. Just my 2.5c of input. :(
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:07 am

Oh sure....I am always for paying more money out of my pocket and for waiting in long lines to get to the beach. We often go over that bridge many many times during a week's period. I would rather not have to wait in line to throw a buck or more in the basket each and every time I go over.

I thought the County was to receive Federal money in some form or fashion for the beach replenishment project.

Not a real fan of the Santa Rosa County authorities.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:50 am

PensacolaKid wrote:Oh sure....I am always for paying more money out of my pocket and for waiting in long lines to get to the beach.
HAHAHAHAHA.... Nice. I like how you think on this idea. Only problem is that the bridge is now "Functionally Obsolete" and needs replacing (scored in the 40's on a scale of 100) according to my reading elsewhere. Next hurricane will likely damage it so badly that we might have to have it replaced anyway, right then.
PensacolaKid wrote:Not a real fan of the Santa Rosa County authorities.
Our Milton politicos have always taken money from the cash cow south end and spent it in Milton.

Navarre and the beach area which is where my personal (and blood, sweat and wallet) interests in the area reside, are not best served by things as they are now. :cry:

Is it too early to ask if this might be different if the incorporation thing had passed?
Trader

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:02 pm

Simple answer ...
NO.

Everytime I read about this SRC Commission they are looking to tax or place a fee on someone. This commission needs some of its power hungry money grubbing members replaced.

They seem to think that Navarre Beach is their private slush fund. Once a toll is placed getting it removed and depriving the SRCC of their toll money will not happen. This makes me want to retire and spend my money elsewhere.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:16 am

This topic could rapidly devolve into "political" (as could also the beach renourishment thread).
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:46 am

Pete wrote:This topic could rapidly devolve into "political" (as could also the beach renourishment thread).
I am aware of that, but unfortunately, the world is not all sweetness and light when it comes to these things.

If anyone wants to talk politics, we can go elsewhere for it (the thread in the Concerned Citizens of Navarre Facebook group is nudging 200 posts about this issue), or we can just look at the sea rolling in over us.

Whatever.
Trader

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:46 pm

I don't think this discussion or topic has anything to do with politics other than the career politicians on the SRCC. The SRCC cannot expect to milk money those who live, own property or work on the island for everything forever without some of the people saying enough is enough.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:34 am

Over the years with all the posts and reports about the County and the County "officials", it pretty much sounds to me like they will do whatever is in their power to generate income that can then be sent north of the island. Perhaps including a toll over to the island. If I were living there, not sure I would or could trust them as far as I could throw them.
RastaNavarrian

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:24 am

I am curious if anyone reviewed the presentation (agenda) and/or watched the replay of last week's planning meeting? Many important issues were covered.

The bridge toll would probably be added to the Navarre Bridge reserve balance (page 30). There was a full discussion on the bridge and that an errant barge or hurricane could force the issue sooner rather than later. I applaud the commission for looking forward.

In addition to the bridge, there were discussions regarding beach re-nourishment, Fee Simple on Navarre Beach and the Navarre Beach lease fees.

Regarding the lease fees, my understanding is that it will be discussed again at the meeting on February 9th with discussion centered on the impact of a standardized residential lease fee of between $0 and $250. It was also brought up that the lease fees would be directed used for the beach area. I hope that is the case. Public input would help steer this line of thinking.

I was very impressed with Rob Williamson. He is very articulate and energetic. I am glad we have such a strong advocate for the Navarre area. I was also quite surprised how much of the 5 or so hours of discussion were related to Navarre and Navarre Beach.
Trader

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:29 pm

It speaks quite loudly as to where the Commissioners eyes and interests are focused. I have a feeling the SRCC will always be devising ways to tax and add fees on the owners of island properties.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”