Biting flies at the beach?

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:41 pm

Pete wrote:
rexy wrote:Good advice about the flies, what can be about dog owners walking there dog on beach like right now 10.10 am.
Don't know if calling a Sheriff Deputy would help - they may, (or may not) enforce the ordinance. If not, I'd complain to the county commissioners?
Pete,

I 100% agree with you about calling the appropriate authorities. I have heard stories of them coming out quickly and also of them ignoring the beach ordinance. Who knows what they'll do?

For sure, if nobody in Milton know that these things are going (and it seems to me that for much of the time, those in Milton NEVER know what's going on in the south end of the county), nothing will ever change.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
BeachLoverInNM

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:44 am

So yesterday the wind had shifted to the south again and NO flies. A wonderful day to sit at the beach unmolested. All in all there were only 3 in 9 days that were affected by flies. Not too bad really, for fly season.

We noticed another oddity on Saturday, however (a fly day). There seemed to be NO flies in front of the big high rises by the pier. Do the high rises shield the beach from flies? Are the high rises using something to repel flies (it smelled oddly like tiki torch fuel to me down there...?) Or was this just a coincidence?

Still hoping someone will comment on whether some people are immune to the flies too. It really did seem like some people weren't bothered at all. It's all very curious.
RastaNavarrian

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:51 am

The water on Saturday was amazingly clear. Lots of flies and butterflies. Tried to inoculate myself with Corona. Didn't seem to help with the flies. Looking forward to being back in a couple of weeks. The weather was absolutely perfect.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:06 am

BeachLoverInNM wrote:So yesterday the wind had shifted to the south again and NO flies. A wonderful day to sit at the beach unmolested. All in all there were only 3 in 9 days that were affected by flies. Not too bad really, for fly season.

We noticed another oddity on Saturday, however (a fly day). There seemed to be NO flies in front of the big high rises by the pier. Do the high rises shield the beach from flies? Are the high rises using something to repel flies (it smelled oddly like tiki torch fuel to me down there...?) Or was this just a coincidence?

Still hoping someone will comment on whether some people are immune to the flies too. It really did seem like some people weren't bothered at all. It's all very curious.
The folks at the High-Rise condos are coating their entire bodies with real butter to keep the black flies away.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:13 pm

And what do the flies say???

They say "YUM, I love my tourists w/EXTRA BUTTER!"

Seriously, a few drops of Melaleuca oil in your body lotion seems to help --- anyway, works for me!

:mrgreen:
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Sandstomper

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:34 am

Just returned from 3 days in Paradise with no biting flies on the beach. Was there Mon. - Wed. with perfect weather and water. This is truly one of the best times of the year to enjoy NB.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
dawhip

Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:27 pm

The beach and water are beautiful today but the flies are out. Our first day since being here to encounter them. The wind is supposed to switch to the south tomorrow so maybe the flies will be blow off the beach.
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:39 am

Just remember do not chase them with pepper spray. it burns and you will look funny! :wink:
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:00 am

Again, LAND O LAKES BUTTER works best to keep the black-flies off you when you coat your body from head to toe with this amazing butter. You can use what’s left for some great tasting microwave pop-corn.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:43 am

can't stand it that was funny!

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”