Phantom over Navarre Beach!

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Flew my new Phantom 2 Vision+ over the island and got some beautiful views. Thought I'd share:

[video][/video]
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Holy-moly --- drone over Navarre Beach!!!

8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Very nice.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
LaTJ

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:11 am

wow awesome...I want one of those.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 am

Gulf Island National Seashore bans unmanned aircraft until use can be evaluated

Pensacola News Journal
Kimberly Blair, Staff writer11:04 a.m. CDT August 21, 2014

Gulf Islands National Seashore is following in the footsteps of all national parks by banning the use of unmanned aircraft until the impacts they may have on wildlife and safety can be evaluated.

Gulf Islands National Seashore is banning the use of unmanned aircraft such as drones outfitted with cameras in its Florida and Mississippi parks until the new activity can be evaluated.

National Park Service Director Jon Jarvis ordered park officials to take the measure while the impacts of the aircraft on wildlife, park safety and visitor experience are formally investigated. The explosion in drone use for photographing parks in recent years has resulted in complaints.

“We have already observed unmanned aircraft over some of the beaches and historic sites within Gulf Islands,” Seashore Superintendent Dan Brown said. “We know that shorebirds are very sensitive to low-flying objects, apparently interpreting them as predators. That causes them to flush and leave their nests, which leaves eggs and chicks exposed and at risk to the hot summer sun.”

Brown explained that the seashore provides for a variety of recreational activities that enable visitors to enjoy the parks’ “incredible resources” while giving the wildlife that depend on these resources the space they need.

“We appreciate the public’s understanding as we evaluate this new type of activity,” he said.

The interim ban prohibits the launching, landing or operation of unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters within the seashore. This applies to model airplanes, quadcopters and drones.

It could take 18 months or more for the Park Service to conduct its evaluation and gather public input in developing a proposed regulation.

The Gulf Islands National Seashore superintendent’s compendium on this issue can be found at http://www.nps.gov/guis.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:25 am

Yes, Kenny! I'm surprised this article is dated as late as August 21; I assumed the National Seashore was off-limits along with all other national parks back in June when I shot this video. That's why I launched from White Sands Blvd. And I am such a nature lover that I would never fly over a marked or a known nesting area.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
Nidrah

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:42 am

Banned or not...that's awesome!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:03 am

The sad issue is that not everyone is considerate - of either wildlife and/or other people.
Really don't want others flying a drone over my back yard, etc.
Will have to see (again) how new technology works out.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
RastaNavarrian

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Cool video! I was on my deck that evening when your unit flew over. Now I know what my upper roof looks like!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Dolfnfan.....you are the gadget meister. Very cool....incredibly cool. We know you Dolfnfan and know you are a responsible steward of Navarre. Is this a four propeller unit? What is the wingspan? Where did you get it? I shall watch this again and again.
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Thank you for posting that beautiful video! It was so fun to watch. Made me want to jump in the car and drive to Navarre!

David
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 pm

P'kid.

You can get you one from Amazon. Put on the props, charge the battery. Wify to your phone and you are get to go. My luck I would crash trying to spot pompano to cast to (Is that cheating?), and my investment would become a itty bitty fish condo. 8) :|

I would bet ya that some will be using them to look for cobia, if they have not been already. Yea, I think it's cheating!!
David
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:53 pm

The video from dolfnfan’s drone is an extraordinary video production that he posted here.

I am fully convinced that dolfnfan will not be invading the privacy of people at Navarre Beach with his new drone. He has been an outstanding member of this forum since January 30, 2007. We need more people like dolfnfan on this forum.

When hobbyists send their tiny, camera-equipped drones up to capture pictures of a beautiful sunset, the results can be stunning. But when drones are spotted hovering outside condo windows at Navarre Beach, or over backyards, the resulting unease is understandable. But, is the peeping drone illegal?

As Pete stated in this thread “The sad issue is that not everyone is considerate - of either wildlife and/or other people.” I agree with Pete’s assessment.

I’m very concerned about drones being used to fly too close to nesting black skimmers, least terns and other wildlife.

Once drones become widely used in our society, there's going to be a lot of concern. It's because they might be considered in-your-face. It's easy to see the drone, it's easy to recognize the privacy implications.

But one problem there: How to know who's flying the drone, since the operator may well be out of sight, and the tiny machine doesn't have a license plate or, usually other identifying features. It's not the Goodyear Blimp.

Going forward I would appreciate forum members alerting me, AngelGirl or Brian if they see a video via a drone posted on the forum that you think creates a privacy problem.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Kenny Wilder wrote:The video from dolfnfan’s drone is an extraordinary video production that he posted here.

I am fully convinced that dolfnfan will not be invading the privacy of people at Navarre Beach with his new drone. He has been an outstanding member of this forum since January 30, 2007. We need more people like dolfnfan on this forum.

[...]

Going forward I would appreciate forum members alerting me, AngelGirl or Brian if they see a video via a drone posted on the forum that you think creates a privacy problem.
Noted.

We will keep an eye open for them.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
lefam1992

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:31 pm

that is quite a view your drone captured there dolfnfan. I got a little dizzy, but all is well. thx for sharing

Tony

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”