June Grass

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed May 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Well, well, well.....looks like we have our old friend the June Grass visiting Navarre Beach again. I was just looking at the Half Hitch Fishing Report for Navarre and it was speaking of the Pompano fishing and how you will no doubt grab a bunch of grass. Sure enough looked at the webcam and it is there. Guess what though and is the case most of the time when Navarre has less than stellar water, it is not happening in Destin. Not sure what the difference is other than the pass?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu May 28, 2020 9:50 am

Found this interesting article about "June grass" ~

https://30a.com/facts-about-june-grass/
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri May 29, 2020 7:47 am

Very interesting. Although it still occurs in Destin it rarely occurs to the same intensity as it does in Bama/Pensacola and Navarre.
Shepster

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:23 pm

Was in Navarre between June 14th to June 19th. The June Grass was really bad from Pensacola Beach all the way down the 30A beaches. We had one day at Opal beach that was tolerable but every other day was like swimming in pea soup. We tried Opal, Fort Walton, and Miramar Beach trying to escape the stuff. Sucks especially bad because the weather that week was simply perfect. Low humidity, upper 80's and a nice breeze all hours of the day. We stayed at Emerald Beach RV resort, which is our normal RV campground when in Navarre.

Been watching various webcams across the gulf coast from Pensacola Beach to Panama City Beach on a daily basis since before Memorial Day (I need a daily beach break!) and the June Grass is really persistent and wide spread this year.

We typically take 2 beach trips each summer, in June and September. Normally we come to Navarre for both. But after this year's downer with June Grass we are going to start heading down to the St Pete/Sarasota/Venice area for our June trip as they don't really have issues with June Grass and there are some nice State Parks to camp at. While not on the beach they are fairly close. Since June Grass is normally gone by September we'll plan our Navarre trip for mid Sept.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Shepster,

Thank you for the detailed report. Yep, I just went to the Destin Henderson Beach State Park webcam and not a blade of June Grass in Destin. I do not know what the deal is with Navarre but something is different and maybe it is because they are much closer to Bama, I don't know. If this continues and I almost cannot believe I am saying this, my family's trip starting next year may entail staying down there. By no means do I want to as I have grown up with Navarre, literally but this hit or miss with June Grass is getting very old.

As pretty as it is on the West Coast of Florida, I just don't think I would want to add another 6-8 hours onto an already 7.5 hour drive.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:13 am

To this point, this past October I was in Clearwater on business. I purposely came in a day early to be able to go to the beaches and check out for myself. Well, gotta tell ya, it was remarkably like Navarre. I would say they had more pieces of shell in the sand, it was a lot more course and it appeared to not be as wide of a beach. The water however, crystal clear and beautiful.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:55 am

Interesting. A few years back we went to the area (had some business at the Bay Pines VA Medical Center) and stayed a couple blocks off the beach at Indian Shores/Indian Rock Beach. Walked over to the beach and thought is to be much grayer sand, and harder packed? Not "sugar sand"?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:21 am

That is where I was, Indian Rock Beach. You are right, I mispoke it was a grey shade and just had a lot of bits and pieces in it. Not nearly as sugar sandy as Navarre. If you just looked at the water though, spectacular. Again, too far of a drive for me and probably more expensive than Navarre.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”